Thursday, December 7, 2017

Getting our Groove Back Part 2

The race we went to was part of a 3 day event.  We entered in 2 of the 3 days.  Part 2 is what happened on day 2.

Day one was pretty decent.  I was so happy with how calm he was and how well he ran.  I was super excited to get out there again, and not mess it up.

Saturday I went out early and fed the horses, in order to give Trax plenty of time to eat.  I came out later and he had not touched his food.

Terrific.

I threw some hay to him instead of pellets and he went to munching so I knew he wasn't sick.  But now it was time to go, so he was forced to eat his breakfast on the go.  I put him in the trailer and off we went.

This time he was quite a bit more nervous, where as I was totally calm.  We did our time onlies and they were fine but I could tell he was wound up.  I put him back at the trailer and let him munch for most of the day.  As always we were at the end of the pack so we had plenty of time.

About 30 riders before us I usually get back on and start walking him.  I don't work him to death, but moving his feet keeps him calm so we walk.

It was pretty warm that day so we stopped in some shade next to an unused announcers booth next to the warm up arena.  Some one on the other side made a noise and my "broke horse" lost his shit.  First he went sideways, then he went straight up.  I had my hat in my hands and my silver and leather hat band came off and bounced against the saddle a few times which set him off even more.

I finally got him calmed down.  Got off of him and side passed him from the ground about 20 feet in both directions.  Then I got rid of the hat band, and got back on him.  We rode around until it was our turn to go.  He seemed pretty chill other than continually asking to leave the staging area. But he asked nicely so I didn't get too concerned about it. 

Once again we started off looking pretty good.  My confidence was up so I was going for it!

We got to the first barrel without mishap other than me forgetting where my hands should be


At this point I was still really happy with how things were going

I like how we are both looking for the next barrel.
Still feeling good about it all

came out nice and strong

And still felt ok at this point


I didn't recall being so wide on the second barrel

But obviously we were


This is where things all went wrong


This is where he decided to show me a short cut to the gate


This is where I said, "Oh snap! He's headed towards the gate!"

"Sorry Buddy- Still have one more barrel"

He is clearly not happy with me hanging on his face
Look at where his eye is looking even though he has started to give in.
Finally got his attention back
I love those butt muscles! 
We went in to #3 kind of ok

Until I went blank and forgot every bit of training.  Talk about money  not well spent!
I guess neck reining your way around is the new "thing"  LOL
Then I finally regained some sense and we got moving again. 
Of course racing home is what he does best.  
In the end, that attempted short cut ended up costing us dearly. We ran even slower than the day before.  24 something.  But we never broke the pattern so I guess that is a plus.

Back to the practice pen we went.  We had another lesson and cleaned some things up.  The biggest one being where my hands are. 

When I look at these pics I totally cringe.  I feel bad for my horse, and wonder if I should give it up.  But I won't give up.  As much as I hate seeing myself dragging him around by his face, on the other hand I know that he isn't helping matters some times by trying to do things his own way. 

We raced again a few days after our lesson. It was a real pretty correct run and where as we are usually about 6-8 seconds off of the fast time.  On that run we were only 5.  So that is major improvement.  Our last race with this particular club is in 2 days. 

I have high hopes for that day.  I probably shouldn't, but surely at some point it has to get better...doesn't it???

2 comments:

  1. The great thing about photos is that you can see where you need to make changes- and I like your honesty; those two things are really going to help you make better and better runs, because I'm pretty sure you have the will to succeed!
    And by the way- I cringe at photos of me riding too! Somehow I don't look the way I think I am riding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos don't lie and in accepting the blatent honesty they possess, we can change for the better and improve. I still ppreciate the video you took of my WB mare (that seems like ages ago!) because I was able to correct a few things later on and it made for huge improvements down the road.

    Don't beat yourself up over the way you were riding That. Day. Trax is surely over it by now. Time for you to let it go too.

    ReplyDelete