Monday, October 15, 2012

Birthday gift

My birthday is coming up in a week or so and Tom decided to shop early and he bought me this.


I am an artwork junkie, if horses or dogs or western anything are the subject it is a bonus!
There is a copy of this up in the Sportsman Warehouse store here in town.  I have always loved/hated it.  (I will get to that explanation I promise)  It was presented as some sort of award to them.  I have searched for a copy but could never find one.  Then recently a copy was brought in for sale at the store.  I didn't have the money for it myself, but I went in often and looked it.  THAT is why he bought if for me, so I didn't have to go into the store to see it.   It is hanging in my office at work now.

It is titled "Pull It One More Mile"

I hate that it depicts how horses have been treated less than nicely in the past.  It hurts me, and makes me sad.  I wonder how long that big strong guy was able to work as hard as he is in this picture?

At the same time I love it because it shows how extraordinary horses are.  They give and give to us. This horse is giving his all to pull (I assume a mine cart)  It reminds me how horses have been with us for centuries, often doing our dirty work for us, giving us their all. They have been under appreciated for so long, and it is up to people like us to change that.

 I wonder if this horses owner appreciated how hard he worked. Did he take him into the stable at night and make sure he was ok, giving him food and talking to him?  Its hard to say, because although he is pulling more than he should have to be, he also looks to be healthy and well cared for. Of course in those times, horses were tools, not pets. So the mindset of horse owners was different I think.

I am curious what sort of emotions you feel when you look at this picture?

1 comment:

  1. Mixed, like you... It did occur to me that he might be in a pulling competition, so maybe pulling a lot of weight for a very short time maybe? In modern ones the horses certainly throw everything into the pull but it is only for a few feet. I hope that's it anyway!

    ReplyDelete