Friday, August 24, 2012
Bigger decision....input please?
I have an acquaintance in Riverton who has a nice little mare, she is a Hiatus Pep granddaughter. She was a competition cutting horse, she has been used for trail riding, hunting, lessons for kids, he has had her for years and years. For a long time he has been telling me that he really needs to find a larger horse to replace her with. Not because she is too small to ride, but because when he hunts and she is in the string she cannot negotiate as easily over the terrain as his other horses who are all 16 hands or better. It throws his pack string out of whack. She is made for competing. He says she loves it. I would like to compete.
We have Killian. He is a rock solid trail horse (that is him in the picture being ridden bareback on a trail ride) kid safe, darn near bomb proof. You can rope off him, you can push cows off of him. He is a pretty decent horse, easy to get along with. The only thing I really dislike about him is that I cannot let him and Danny out together. What you cannot do on him is any kind of flying lead change (or any lead change) he just does not have that natural athletisism that Trax or Sassy has, or that I suspect this mare has. He is a good horse, but not a competition horse.
I have the chance to trade Killian for this little mare, straight across, and on a trial run. If I decide I don't like her after a month we can trade back.
So, do I do the trade?
Sometimes I wish I could just keep them all.
Well thanks to the input of others I have made my decision. I will take him down and see the mare and see if he likes Killian and I like the mare, and then I will play it by ear. BUT if I do bring her home I will make sure that I am careful and learn how to ride her properly so as not to ruin her.
Will update with pics!!!
Have a great weekend everyone!